I am new here

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 12 16:33:47 EDT 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:27:21 -0300, Leonardo Ariel Carreras Rodríguez said:

> I am new here, and I want to know how to get started, maybe with the
> simplest way available.

Something the others haven't addressed - do you have an understanding of
*why* you are here?  As the "how to get started" will be different for
different answers...

Are you here because you're a professional programmer who's done a
lot of userspace work, and your company just re-assigned you to write
an FPGA driver for a new product?

Are you here because you got a project assignment from a professor?

Are you here because you just bought a Brand X laptop and the sound
card is supposedly supported, but it plays everything in reverse?

Are you here because you have a device that has no driver in Linux?

Are you here because you're a troll?

Are you here because you think kernel hacking is a good way to improve
your resume?

Are you here because you've been using Linux, and you want to give back
but have no idea how?

We've seen all of the above here - and each of these should probably
be heading in a different direction.  There isn't really a one size
fits all best way to get started.