I am new here

Leonardo Ariel Carreras Rodríguez zc77leo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:41:56 EDT 2015

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:27:21 -0300, Leonardo Ariel Carreras Rodríguez said:
>
>> I am new here, and I want to know how to get started, maybe with the
>> simplest way available.
>
> Something the others haven't addressed - do you have an understanding of
> *why* you are here?  As the "how to get started" will be different for
> different answers...

I am here because I am curious about how the kernel is developed. If I
have to blame to something, that would be taking the LFS101x course. I
have been using some distros since ages, but I never had enough time
to be involved in anything (lots of things to do). I finished
university recently, and I have some free time to do what I like.

> Are you here because you're a professional programmer who's done a
> lot of userspace work, and your company just re-assigned you to write
> an FPGA driver for a new product?
>
> Are you here because you got a project assignment from a professor?
>
> Are you here because you just bought a Brand X laptop and the sound
> card is supposedly supported, but it plays everything in reverse?
>
> Are you here because you have a device that has no driver in Linux?
>
> Are you here because you're a troll?

Oh, I am sure that I am not a troll (maybe my questions seems to be
about simple topics or vague in some way, but that is because I still
don't know enough to be specific).

> Are you here because you think kernel hacking is a good way to improve
> your resume?
>
> Are you here because you've been using Linux, and you want to give back
> but have no idea how?

This questions seems to be in the direction of my feelings. I am not
sure about which part of the system I would like to be involved with.

> We've seen all of the above here - and each of these should probably
> be heading in a different direction.  There isn't really a one size
> fits all best way to get started.

I know that, but I wanted something that helps me to have a narrower
set of possible choices. Thanks Valdis!