hard disk dirver

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:24:56 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM, horseriver <horserivers at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi:)
>
>    I have a newbie question about hard ware.
>    At booting stage,kernel need to detect the hard device before mount it,
>    does this work  need pci's surport?
>

>    At loading stage ,boot loader need to move binaries from hard disk
> partition
>    to ram,does this work need pci's surport?

hard disk I/O is in ATA bus, and PCI has it own bus on the chipset (see
page 69):

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19123/eng/d525mw_d525mwv_techprodspec.pdf

and page 14:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gsa/sb/d5600601us.pdf

But these are terminologies.   At the source code level, (and tools as
well), PCI and ATA are not differentiated much:

in drivers/ata/ata_piix.c, and in drivers/pci/quirks.c both directory u can
see 82801 symbols exists.

For your problem i think it is a BOCHS problem...mixing with recent linux
kernel (older kernel should be fine)...eg,

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-915210-view-previous.html?sid=a003ebbc022d7f23399fc7f1c5dad424

(notice the 3.2 kernel) which is resolved via setting the PCI configuration
in BOCHS as well.   take a look.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh