hard disk dirver

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Feb 6 15:28:26 EST 2013

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:20:13 -0500, Greg Freemyer said:

> Most new MB's have a SATA controller directly on the MB connected directly
> to either the North or South bridge (I don't know which).
>
> I don't think any PCI is support needed to talk to the boot disk.

Yes, but said SATA controller and north/southbridge are usually emulating
a PCI:

% lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 03)

So no actual PCI slots involved there, but that PCI bridge is going to require
PCI support to program all the BARs and other stuff to talk to that 82801.