custom compil

Paulo Miguel Almeida paulo.miguel.almeida.rodenas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:52:45 EST 2023

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 11:26:40PM +0100, A.Péré wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to compile a kernel for fedora following this security
> guide ( https://www.ssi.gouv.fr/guide/recommandations-de-securite-relatives-a-un-systeme-gnulinux/
>  v2)

Hi Aurel, Fedora maintains its own kernel and while it tries to follow
the kernel upstream, it has minor differences. They do have a mailing
list for fedora kernels that can be found at https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/overview/
should you have specific questions about it.

> I have some parameters that i have put using an ansible role
> (https://github.com/robertdebock/ansible-role-kernel).
> The compilation works but when i reboot i get a black screen so i
> guess i am not doing it the right way.
> Ideally I would like to be able to compile new kernel on the fly with
> my custom .config file for almalinux server and my fedora workstation
> home pc.
> I have seen this fedora doc
> (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/build-custom-kernel/)
> but at the paragraph "Building a Kernel from the Fedora dist-git" it
> states 3. Make whatever changes or customizations you need, but no
> information is provided on how to do that.
> Could you help me in doing this?
> Thank you

I must be honest with you that it's very unlikely that they will
help you if you simply drop ansible playbooks and security best
practices links. So far, the problem that you described is more related
to sysadmin stuff IMO.

My 2 cents for you to do would be:

1) use other mediums such as forums on the internet which a more focused
on that kind of thing.
2) try stuff locally, read up on docs of tools you are not familiar
with yet. With more details like errors I think you will more likely get
across someone that has faced similar problems and can point you to a
solution. So far your problem statement is a bit vague and it would be
hard for anyone willing to help to actually do so.

Good luck :-)

thanks!

- Paulo A.