List of all available kernel modules per version

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Sep 23 13:38:13 EDT 2021

A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 07:32:40PM +0200, Leon Gross wrote:
> The first thing I am interested in a complete list of all kernel modules of
> the x86 plattform for any kernel version.

Which x86 platform?  There are many different ones.

> The problem I want to solve is a generalized way to find out the kernel
> versions in which modules first were supported.

But how are you mapping a module "name" to what it does?

Why does that matter?

> One exmaple is the `nvme_tcp` module. Trough testing on machines running
> different kernels and stackoverflow articles
> I figured out that it might have been supported since kernel version 5.x. I
> would like to have a way to verfiy such kind of
> information for any given module.

Do a 'make allmodconfig' build for every major release and sort the
output.  Should be pretty easy to script if you really need this.

Good luck!

greg k-h