Kernel Compile Issue

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jun 26 02:39:39 EDT 2021

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 16:05:45 -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane said:

> Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd-modules-load[201]: Failed to find module 'vmhgfs'
> Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
> Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service entered failed state.
>
> Does that make sense to you or anyone ?

For reasons understandable only to systemd, it tried to modprobe vmhgfs and
didn't find it in the initramfs.   Does this configuration actually *need* a
vmware shared folder in order to boot?  If so, you'll need to tell your dracut/
mkinitramfs/whatever command to include it. If not, you'll need to tell it to
not look for it.

(Particularly annoying -  dracut will include that systemd unit even if you
have a kernel that doesn't need any modules to boot because all the requisites
are built-in, you said --no-kernel to not include kernel modules in the
initramfs, and you gave it -o "kernel-modules kernel-modules-extra kernel-network-modules"
to omit those dracut modules from the run. I submitted a patch that was
rejected, because apparently *some* places build an initramfs with 'dracut
--no-kernel' and then append another cpio image that contains kernel modules,
and the patch would break that.  This is why we can't have nice things.)