Kernel Compile Issue

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:05:45 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 8:51 PM Valdis Klētnieks
<valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:36:08 -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane said:
>
> > but after selecting the new kernel at the GRUB2 menu it hangs at the graphical
> > login and I am stumped.
>
> Does control-alt-F2, -F3, -F4 get you line mode consoles? If so, you
> should be able to login, and get dmesg, the X server log, and the logs
> for whatever greeter program runs for graphical login.

No my keyboard is locked not responsive just the numLock led is on, so
unable to control-alt-F2 :-(

> If you can't get a line mode console, check if it's answering ping, and
> if it's answering any tcp or udp based services (if you have any enabled).
> Another thing to look at is netconsole to send kernel messages to a syslog
> server running on another machine (or netcat at the destination if it doesn't
> have syslog running),

I found a 500Gb ssd inside one of the old machines and I started from scratch.
Pulled out the two cables from the harddisks and plugged in the ssd, installed
debian-10.10.0-amd64-netinst.iso then tried to compile kernel 5.12.13 from
kernel.org and voila et success.

And under 13 minutes to full compile.
Also compiled linux-next-next-20210625 no issues, everything is good again.

Someday I want to try and figure out what is going on with the original system.

Oh, and Thomas Syslog tells me :

Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd-modules-load[201]: Failed to find module 'vmhgfs'
Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd[1]: Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
Jun 25 10:46:42 debian systemd[1]: Unit systemd-modules-load.service
entered failed state.

Does that make sense to you or anyone ? Anyways things are all good. I
just have to pull out cables
and hook up the ssd when I feel like compiling a kernel, which I can
live with :-)

Cindy Sue Causey I was wondering is there a 'reason' you are sticking
with 'lilo' and not
moving to grub2 ?

Thank you everyone for all the help and support - Aruna