Kernel Compile Issue

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 13:56:54 EDT 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 12:13 PM Cindy Sue Causey
<butterflybytes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/24/21, Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Just to be clear: This is what you get when running "sudo make install" ?
> >
> > Yes,  I was getting that error when running "sudo make install". I
> > have manually removed
> > all instances of VirtualBox and any guest additions and that warning
> > went away. But now I have
> > another problem. After compilation grub menu shows the new kernel.
> > When I select the new
> > kernel it goes through all the usual steps of booting then hangs at
> > the graphical login screen where
> > I no longer have a mouse and Ctrl+Alt+F1 does not work either .
>

> Hi from a perennial lurker here! Disclaimer up front: My apologies if
> you're already doing this step.

> out all things "/boot" while running LILO instead of GRUB2 for 14 or
> so different bootable partitions.

Hi, I thought 'I' was the only person insane enough to have multiple partitions
that run Linux ? 14 or so partitions ? Yikes ! Let's see how many I have managed
to create over the years :

aruna at debian:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   100M  0 part
├─sda2   8:2    0 212.2G  0 part /media/aruna/OS
├─sda3   8:3    0     1K  0 part
├─sda5   8:5    0  19.7G  0 part /
└─sda6   8:6    0   903M  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   0   250G  0 part /media/aruna/Ubuntu 12.04.4 L
├─sdb2   8:18   0   250G  0 part /media/aruna/kernel-stuff
├─sdb3   8:19   0  16.8G  0 part /media/aruna/back-up
├─sdb4   8:20   0     1K  0 part
├─sdb5   8:21   0   204G  0 part
/media/aruna/3c8fce17-5948-43e7-9662-921e65c7faa7
├─sdb6   8:22   0 196.9G  0 part
/media/aruna/200f9328-ae6b-4fe9-9d94-24ffd391bbe9
├─sdb7   8:23   0   6.2G  0 part
└─sdb8   8:24   0   7.7G  0 part
sdh      8:112  1   3.7G  0 disk
├─sdh1   8:113  1   2.4G  0 part /media/aruna/d-live 10.10.0 ma amd64
└─sdh2   8:114  1   2.5M  0 part
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom

Darn! You beat me by one partition but it is a close second eh ? Can't
count the sdh
that has the Debian 10 live CD I just plugged in :-)

> In my case, my experience is with Debian doing similar versions of
> this over the last year or so. I tripped over that I was mismatching
> e.g. my initrd.img and vmlinuz instances in an attempt at separating

Believe me I am feeling the pain you must have felt at that time right now.
And this is really interesting what you have shared, makes me wonder now.

> My stumbled upon fix was to run "update-initramfs -u" then double
> check to make sure that that latest update matched the location LILO
> was using to call up those partition-specific files. As an example, I
> have a "lilo" subdirectory under /boot then each operating system has
> its own deeper subdirectory. Those subdirectories hold copies of each
> system's initrd.img and vmlinuz.

I have always used GRUB2 so now I have to read about "lilo" I guess. Thanks.

> Ever since I started very carefully double checking everything after
> each update that triggered LILO to run, I haven't been locked out
> since, not once. Prior to this (really just a few weeks ago), I faced
> every possible form of lockout that you're describing plus
> occasionally also hitting that blank screen where the login prompt
> doesn't even bother to appear. The experience has been so empowering
> that I'm preparing to test drive syslinux, too, something I've
> actually "feared" until a couple weeks ago. :)

You 'feared' syslinux ? There was a time long years ago I had accidentally
opened up a shell/terminal and I just sat there for a good 30 minutes unsure
what the hell do I do now ? I was too afraid to x-out and close that
window because
I had no idea what it would or would not do. And I had no clue what to
type in that
bash shell either. Those were the good old days :-)

> Hope this helps someone at some point... somewhere.. somehow.

It has most definitely helped me. I will be back with more questions as I
proceed to try and troubleshoot this mess I have created.

Thank you very much for sharing - Aruna