Kernel Compile Issue

Cindy Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 12:13:17 EDT 2021

On 6/24/21, Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 6:21 AM Thomas Bracht Laumann Jespersen
> <t at laumann.xyz> wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to compile a old kernel and it compiles fine. I used:
>> > time make -j$(nproc) and this is a-ok and works.
>> > make modules_install works fine. Now when I try to install the newly
>> > compiled kernel I get this error below.
>> >
>> > Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.18.2-testing
>> > (x86_64)
>>
>> Just to be clear: This is what you get when running "sudo make install" ?
>
> Yes,  I was getting that error when running "sudo make install". I
> have manually removed
> all instances of VirtualBox and any guest additions and that warning
> went away. But now I have
> another problem. After compilation grub menu shows the new kernel.
> When I select the new
> kernel it goes through all the usual steps of booting then hangs at
> the graphical login screen where
> I no longer have a mouse and Ctrl+Alt+F1 does not work either .

Hi from a perennial lurker here! Disclaimer up front: My apologies if
you're already doing this step.

In my case, my experience is with Debian doing similar versions of
this over the last year or so. I tripped over that I was mismatching
e.g. my initrd.img and vmlinuz instances in an attempt at separating
out all things "/boot" while running LILO instead of GRUB2 for 14 or
so different bootable partitions.

My stumbled upon fix was to run "update-initramfs -u" then double
check to make sure that that latest update matched the location LILO
was using to call up those partition-specific files. As an example, I
have a "lilo" subdirectory under /boot then each operating system has
its own deeper subdirectory. Those subdirectories hold copies of each
system's initrd.img and vmlinuz.

Ever since I started very carefully double checking everything after
each update that triggered LILO to run, I haven't been locked out
since, not once. Prior to this (really just a few weeks ago), I faced
every possible form of lockout that you're describing plus
occasionally also hitting that blank screen where the login prompt
doesn't even bother to appear. The experience has been so empowering
that I'm preparing to test drive syslinux, too, something I've
actually "feared" until a couple weeks ago. :)

Hope this helps someone at some point... somewhere.. somehow.

Cindy :)
--
* runs with birdseed *