How do you generate the config file?

Jim Davis jim.epost at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:16:37 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 2:51 PM, srishti sharma <srishtishar at gmail.com> wrote:
> After cloning greg kroah hartman's repository from the tutorial , I am
> not able to boot into any kernel by default and have to choose from
> advanced ubuntu options  from the grub menu . In the advanced ubuntu
> options I see generic kernels ,and one rc3+ kernel . I think that's
> the one I need to boot in . Am I wrong ? Also when I am trying to boot
> in the rc3+ kernel my computer gets stuck and I am unable to boot .
> What do I do ? Please help me .

A couple of minor things -- well, maybe not so minor: Top posting, and
thread hijacking, won't go over well on most kernel mailing lists.

If you're really stuck I'd try to go back to basics and make sure a
standard kernel build-n-boot works before trying anything fancier.  On
an Ubuntu system that could be

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
sudo apt-get install git
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
linux-rc
cd linux-rc
cp `ls -t /boot/config* | head -1` .config  # or whatever your latest
vendor config file is
yes "" | make oldconfig
make bindeb-pkg >/tmp/make-bindeb.out 2>/tmp/make-bindeb.err

which, if all goes well, will leave a deb file in the parent directory
with an unwieldy name like
linux-image-4.10.0-rc6+_4.10.0-rc6+-1_i386.deb.  If you can't build a
kernel with the standard linux source repo and your vendor's latest
config file then something needs to be fixed before going any further.

If the build worked, running sudo dpkg -i
linux-image-whatever-the-name-is.deb in the parent directory, and
rebooting, should start the new kernel running, as you can check with
uname -r.

Actually I ran those commands on a Debian Jessie VM but I think the
Ubuntu steps would be virtually identical.  It is handy to do all that
in a virtual environment -- the cool kids use kvm; I use Virtualbox.

--
Jim