TCP as a module

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 15 01:05:10 EST 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 00:14:43 -0500, "Md. Islam" said:

> I'm trying to write a Media-friendly TCP (by implementing a new
> option). Please let me know if you have any suggestion.

Step 0:  Figure out what the new option is, and why you think it will be
media-friendly.  Hint:  some 80% of internet traffic is streaming video, and
seems to be doing OK without any new options.  So you may want to double-check
what you're planning to achieve.  There's a pretty good chance that what you're
trying to do can *already* be done with an existing tunable parameter, or with
a traffic control module external to the main TCP stack (see the work on
fq_codel to stop bufferbloat for an example).