Booting with SYSLINUX on Loopback Device: Kernel Panic - Where to Start?

Kristof Provost kristof at sigsegv.be
Fri Mar 4 17:33:21 EST 2016

On 2016-03-04 11:38:33 (-0700), Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to install SYSLINUX on a disk image and get the kernel I built
> to start booting Linux with QEMU pointing to a loopback device associated
> with the disk image. However, at some point far into the boot process, I
> get a kernel panic. I can't read the beginning of the error messages that
> the kernel prints, because the errors run off the screen.

You should be able to persuade qemu to be a bit more helpful.
'-nographic' turns off graphical output and redirects the serial port to
the console (or just use '-serial'). You can then configure your kernel
to log to the serial port.

This should get you started:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19565116/redirect-qemu-window-output-to-terminal-running-qemu

Regards,