Booting with SYSLINUX on Loopback Device: Kernel Panic - Where to Start?

Patrick plafratt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:50:24 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Kristof Provost <kristof at sigsegv.be> wrote:

> On 2016-03-04 11:38:33 (-0700), Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was able to install SYSLINUX on a disk image and get the kernel I built
> > to start booting Linux with QEMU pointing to a loopback device associated
> > with the disk image. However, at some point far into the boot process, I
> > get a kernel panic. I can't read the beginning of the error messages that
> > the kernel prints, because the errors run off the screen.
> >
> You should be able to persuade qemu to be a bit more helpful.
> '-nographic' turns off graphical output and redirects the serial port to
> the console (or just use '-serial'). You can then configure your kernel
> to log to the serial port.
>
> This should get you started:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19565116/redirect-qemu-window-output-to-terminal-running-qemu
>
> Regards,
> Kristof

​Thanks for the response.​ I had seen that StackOverflow post and done that
a couple of days ago. I was hoping there was another answer, since I
wouldn't be able to do that if I weren't using QEMU.

When I looked at the output from QEMU a couple of days ago, the kernel was
saying that it couldn't find a device to mount with the root filesystem. So
I generated an initrd image on the host Linux system, and I used that on
the guest which got me to a BusyBox prompt. But this was totally a hack,
since I didn't even know if getting an initrd image was really the next
thing I needed to do. I was hoping someone might be able to point me to
something that might explain what to do to get the kernel to mount a device
with the root filesystem.

Thanks again,
Patrick