Booting with SYSLINUX on Loopback Device: Kernel Panic - Where to Start?

Patrick plafratt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:38:33 EST 2016

Hello,

I was able to install SYSLINUX on a disk image and get the kernel I built
to start booting Linux with QEMU pointing to a loopback device associated
with the disk image. However, at some point far into the boot process, I
get a kernel panic. I can't read the beginning of the error messages that
the kernel prints, because the errors run off the screen.

I copied the bzImage onto the disk image, and I'm not sure where to go from
there. Is the next step to build the initrd image? I don't yet know how to
get the kernel to mount a device so it can find the root file system.

Any help is appreciated.

Patrick