Pending work related to kernel for a newbie

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 20 03:54:30 EDT 2016

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:

> Hello, Ashijeet
>
> > I am kernel newbie and I was looking for something to work upon to
> > improve my skill-set. I have good knowledge of C and experience in
> > writing patches. Also please refer me if there is a to-do list for
> > newbies related to pending tasks for linux kernel.
>
> I'm newbie here as well. Still I have an experience of working on some
> other open source projects. I believe the idea is always the same.
>
> First, take a look on project's issue tracker:
>
> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
>
> Also you could probably review an existing code and propose refactoring
> or optimization patches. Static code analyzers is always a good start
> point. Try looking for typos in comments - you will be surprised how
> many mistakes are there. Usually people like to write code but don't
> like to document and/or test it. Join testing and reviewing new
> patches, try to improve them.
>
> I hope this will help.

  i've mentioned this before ... if you want a safe project that will
still teach you a whole lot about the kernel, improve all the
documentation under the Documentation/ directory. there's a *ton* of
stuff there that is either in need of improving or, in some cases,
deletion because it's so old. or if you're feeling really ambitious,
write some *new* documentation for some subsystem for which there is
none.

  and, finally, you can't screw things up by changing the docs.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca