Replacing "-custom" in my New Kernel development configuration

s.rawat imsaurabhrawat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:31:26 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Paul Bolle <pebolle at tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 12:07 +0530, s.rawat wrote:
> > Yes the headers are there in the sources of 3.18.5 kernel.But then I
> > have to change all the references to linux/<header_files.h> in my
> > modules to the path of
> > <kernel_source>/include/linux/<header_files.h>.This could be
> > corrective action.I am looking for preventive action .
>
> Changing those preprocessor include lines is certainly the wrong thing
> to do.
>
> > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION appends whatever name we want to append after the
> > kernel version.
> > I was looking for downloading the kernel headers for the custom kernel
> > I built whose name has been changed to 3.18.5-custom.
> > uname -r give => 3.18.5-custom. :( (cant use it sudo apt-get install
> > linux-header-$(uname-r) :(
>
> What exactly are you trying to achieve? Looking at your original
> question it seems this is about the headers in /usr/src/kernels/$(uname
> -r). (That is the location used in Fedora.)
>
> But why do you need those headers? See, these headers in that directory
> are for building external modules. Ie, modules not already installed
> in /lib/modules/$(uname -r). But that would be easier to do from within
> the directory in your home directory where you downloaded the kernel's
> source code.

>> Yes I am building the external modules .The
headers(linux/<header_files>) I have included the way I have said above.
The reason i asked this is becuase  my driver modules compiles without any
error except it gave warning that certain symbols (function_names_) are
undefined in the .ko driver module .These function_names_symbols are
declared in the header files I included in my driver code like i said
 above..
I compiled  did like this :
make -C <path to kernel sources (compiled kernel - does it matter compile
or not compiled?)> SUBDIRS=<path to my driver code placed in my home
directory (not inside the kernel sources) modules
> Compiled successfully except the warnings I stated above.That is the
reason i asked to way to install the headers of my compiled kernel.