Replacing "-custom" in my New Kernel development configuration

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Feb 12 15:36:40 EST 2015

s.rawat schreef op do 12-02-2015 om 22:01 [+0530]:
> Yes I am building the external modules .The
> headers(linux/<header_files>) I have included the way I have said above.

That is: in the way I called "certainly the wrong thing to do"?

> The reason i asked this is becuase  my driver modules compiles without
> any error except it gave warning that certain symbols (function_names_)
> are undefined in the .ko driver module .These function_names_symbols are
> declared in the header files I included in my driver code like i said
> above..

I guess section "6.3 Symbols From Another External Module" from
Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt contains possible solutions to that
problem.

> I compiled  did like this :
> make -C <path to kernel sources (compiled kernel - does it matter
> compile or not compiled?)> SUBDIRS=<path to my driver code placed in
> my home directory (not inside the kernel sources) modules
> Compiled successfully except the warnings I stated above.That is the
> reason i asked to way to install the headers of my compiled kernel.

To get good answers it helps to quote the command you used and the
output (stderr and stdout) that this command generated.

Greg K-H wrote a booklet that explains most of the problems you've run
into in, I think, great detail: "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell". Perhaps it
is available for free on the interwebs (as its license allows that).

Anyhow, I'm running out of time here. I'll be glad to try to talk you
through setting up things properly (especially /usr/src/[...]
or /lib/modules/[...]/build), if still needed, next Monday.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bolle