Work with correct branch for kernel changes

Luis de Bethencourt luisbg at osg.samsung.com
Sat Dec 12 20:01:43 EST 2015

On 12/12/15 20:43, Shirish Gajera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
> different git branch to work.
>
> So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
> staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
> any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
> follow.
> git clone
> git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
> git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
> not do work and subimt
>
> So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
> for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
> next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.
>
> Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
> branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Shirish

Hi Shirish,

linux-next [0] is good to follow, and useful if you are touching cross-system
code. If you want to be safe, since not all subsystems are merged into
linux-next and some have multiple branches for next version fixes, new
features, etc, check the MAINTAINERS file [1]. There you will see information
you need.

For example for ACPI (drivers/acpi) it is
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm

I hope that clarifies your question.
Luis

[0] git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS