Work with correct branch for kernel changes

Andrey Skvortsov andrej.skvortzov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:04:05 EST 2015

On 12 Dec, Shirish Gajera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
> different git branch to work.
>
> So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
> staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
> any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
> follow.
> git clone
> git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
> git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
> not do work and subimt
>
> So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
> for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
> next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.
>
> Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
> branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Shirish

There are not only different branches, but also different git trees,
where development for different subsystem takes place usually.

I recommend you to watch this presentation of GregKH. He explains very
good, how the development is working.

https://kernel-recipes.org/en/2014/the-linux-kernel-how-fast-it-is-developed-and-how-we-stay-sane-doing-it/

--
Best regards,