Work with correct branch for kernel changes

Shirish Gajera gshirishfree at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:43:03 EST 2015

Hi,

I am new to linux kernel and trying to understand  the process of
different git branch to work.

So, if I am not wrong then there are different branch like stable, next,
staging etc. Previously I work with staging branch so if I am making
any changes for drivers/staging I have to work with staging branch like
follow.
git clone
git checkout -t -b staging-testing origin/staging-testing
git chekcout -b MY_LOCAL_BRANCH
not do work and subimt

So, how it work for other source structure, like now I want to make some
for y2038 -> drivers/scsi which branch should I set up and work with,
next/stable/or is there any specific y2038 branch.

Any wiki link or documentation that explain this full process which
branch to work with when making changes to specific directory will be
useful.

Thanks,
Shirish