Understanding page statistics

Steffen Vogel post at steffenvogel.de
Thu Aug 14 07:39:32 EDT 2014

Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2014, 18:31 -0300 schrieb Martin Ichilevici de
Oliveira:
> "The scheduler will periodically scan through each process's address
> space, revoking all access permissions to the pages that are currently
> resident in RAM. The next time the affected process tries to access that
> memory, a page fault will result.

I don't know how often the flags are reset.
But isn't this a huge overhead? I don't see any advantages for this on
UMA machines.

> I've built a simple kernel module that, given a PID and virtual address,
> retrieves the corresponding struct page. I'm now unsure now where to look
> for such statistics and counters. Any hints on relevant data structures are
> appreciated.

Oh okay, If I'm correct 'struct page' represents a physical page frame
rather than virtual mapped page (see [2]).

The first thing which comes in my mind is LRU aka the kernels page frame
reclamation which is used for swapping unused pages to disk.
I'm mot really sure wheather the LRU lists are based on physical pages.
But I assume so.

You might want to have a look at /proc/pid/pagemap for detailed
information of the VA per process [1].
Theres also a /proc/kpageflags and /proc/kpagecount which contain
information over physical pages [1].

Steffen

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/pagemap.txt
[2] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/tlk/ds/ds.html