Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers

Rohan Puri rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:52:25 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
<sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2014 11:14 PM, "Nick Krause" <xerofoify at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have sent out just ten bad patches and the developers seem very
>> annoyed with me and
>> think I am trolling. If someone on this list can find a way for me to
>> improve my relationship
>> with them and let me continue my work here that would be great.
>> Nick
>
> i saw that you sent a patch regarding videobuf2 on 3rd august , the reaction
> of that patch continues till 4th. on 4th you write that you will not send a
> patch again without testing.
> but surprisingly again on 5th you send a patch , which as usual , fails to
> build. have you really tested the patch before sending?? did you try to
> compile the kernel after making your modifications?? i think - no.

Hi Nick,

The advice developers have given you is very valuable. As the above
ppl have also said, please do hurry through submitting incorrect
patches, you should really know what you are fixing and why that needs
to be fixed. It should be compiled and tested.

Above all, you need to ask yourself a question, why do you really want
to do this? Please do not do this if you want to be famous or show
that even you can do something technical. Do this only if you are
really interested and have liking about OS development & stuff. Then
it will not matter that you have submitted 100s of patches in a month
or just 1 patch in a year. Results should not matter, your goal should
be to learn something new every day about linux kernel. This should be
done through lots of conceptual & code reading, using & testing the
kernel.

To start of please read good books like : -
1. Linux kernel development
2. Understanding linux kernel
3. Linux device drivers
4. There are more but these 3 are enough for beginning.

Once done, you would be interested in particular sub-system, then try
to explore that sub-system more by code reading, making small changes
not necessarily bug-fixes, validate your code understanding through
those changes.

Enjoy learning!

- Rohan