git clone of linux kernel provides only compressed pack files

Manavendra Nath Manav mnm.kernel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:36:08 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Mirco Tischler <mt-ml at gmx.de> wrote:

**snip**
> You just need to do git checkout master after the git clone. This
> gives you the version the master branch in the stable repo points to
> at the time of the cloning.
> To update your local master branch later, just do git pull.
>
> git unpack-objects is usually not directly needed by users. It's
> called by git internally though.
>
> Mirco

Thanks Mirco, after doing git checkout and git pull on cloned Linux
git repo, I can see all the Linux source files. The problem got
resolved for Linux tree but for android repository, I am still facing
issues.

After cd to android git repo dir:
[e518816 at pe1800xs common]$ git checkout master
Already on 'master'

[e518816 at pe1800xs common]$ git pull
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me, either. Please
specify which branch you want to use on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
use something like the following in your configuration file:

    [branch "master"]
    remote = <nickname>
    merge = <remote-ref>

    [remote "<nickname>"]
    url = <url>
    fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.

[e518816 at pe1800xs common]$ git pull
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common.git
>From https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common
 * branch            HEAD       -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.

But, still the source files were not displayed. Also, when I did git
clone of Linux repo, I have given --recursive flag to git clone
command but when i cloned android repo I have omitted this flag. Does
this has any impact. Sorry, for the dump question, but after googling
whole day without any luck, I need a quick fix.
--
Manavendra Nath Manav