git clone of linux kernel provides only compressed pack files

Mirco Tischler mt-ml at gmx.de
Fri Jan 20 08:25:22 EST 2012

2012/1/20 Manavendra Nath Manav <mnm.kernel at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> I cloned 3.2 kernel from git repository, but I am not seeing any
> source files. The .git directory contains .git/objects/pack/*.pack
> file which is huge and it seems all source code with commit revision
> is stored there. When I do "git unpack-objects -r < xyz.pack", it
> completes 100% but still no source files show up. The only thing it
> generates is some more entries in .git/objects/ directory. The same
> problem also occurs when I try to clone android repository. Pls help,
> I am sure I am missing some obvious step here.
>
> [root at pe1800xs src]# git clone --recursive -v
> http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
> Cloning into linux-stable...
> remote: Counting objects: 2446667, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (391011/391011), done.
> Receiving objects:  18% (447106/2446667), 259.18 MiB | 43 KiB/s
>
> [root at pe1800xs .git]# du -h
> 4.0K    ./objects/info
> 284M    ./objects/pack
> 285M    ./objects
> 8.0K    ./info
> 4.0K    ./refs/tags
> 4.0K    ./refs/heads
> 12K     ./refs
> 48K     ./hooks
> 4.0K    ./branches
> 285M    .
>
> [e518816 at pe1800xs common]$ git unpack-objects -r <
> .git/objects/pack/pack-d2d041c2bd4a39fdfdf37c896f64a3c1b53d3d2b.pack
> Unpacking objects: 100% (2074089/2074089), done.
>
> >From the man page of git-unpack-objects: "Objects that already exist
> in the repository will not be unpacked from the pack-file. Therefore,
> nothing will be unpacked if you use this command on a pack-file that
> exists within the target repository." I guess this is the problem I am
> facing. How do I extract the linux souce files (HEAD branch) from pack
> file?
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> Manavendra Nath Manav

Hi

You just need to do git checkout master after the git clone. This
gives you the version the master branch in the stable repo points to
at the time of the cloning.
To update your local master branch later, just do git pull.

git unpack-objects is usually not directly needed by users. It's
called by git internally though.

Mirco