git clone of linux kernel provides only compressed pack files

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Jan 20 14:13:32 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:06:08AM +0530, Manavendra Nath Manav wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Mirco Tischler <mt-ml at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> **snip**
> > You just need to do git checkout master after the git clone. This
> > gives you the version the master branch in the stable repo points to
> > at the time of the cloning.
> > To update your local master branch later, just do git pull.
> >
> > git unpack-objects is usually not directly needed by users. It's
> > called by git internally though.
> >
> > Mirco
>
> Thanks Mirco, after doing git checkout and git pull on cloned Linux
> git repo, I can see all the Linux source files. The problem got
> resolved for Linux tree but for android repository, I am still facing
> issues.

That's different, you need to check out the specific android kernel repo
you want to use, by the branch name.

The android kernel tree is "wierd" that way, try doing this:
	git checkout android-3.0
and you should be fine.

Even better yet, do this:
	git checkout -t -b android-3.0 origin/android-3.0

which creates a "tracking branch" for this branch of their kernel tree,
which will let you handle things when they update it in the future to
newer releases.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h