kernel optimized for core 2 and later processors Debian/Ubuntu

Andev debiandev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 15:47:40 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I take a quick look, seems like that kernel is patched with Con
> Kolivas patchset too.. which is also nice IMHO...since -ck is known to
> be a desktop friendly by lowering latency and increasing
> interactivity.
>
> BTW, swappiness=0? that means, hardly swap out IIRC. It can be good
> but it can be bad too IMO... during tight memory situation, it will
> cause paging do a lot that neccessary. I think better to make it 10 or
> 20, so paging out could be started right after it hits certain
> threshold.

The ck improvements are not total. BFS is not included.

For swappiness, the default debian kernel uses 0. So there were no
changes there.
I guess with current desktops, swapping only when memory is full is
reasonable...
it is one of those tunings which is up for debate... you can still
change it through sysctl.