question about staging tree branches

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jul 12 12:01:07 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:15:17PM +0530, Prashant Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are 4 branches in the staging tree
>
>   remotes/staging/master
>   remotes/staging/ralink
>   remotes/staging/staging-linus
>   remotes/staging/staging-next
>
> Is the staging-linus is what Linus merges and staging-next is merged
> by linux-next tree ?

No, staging-linus is what goes to Linus for this kernel release, after
the -rc1 kernel is out.  It is picked up in the linux-next daily
releases.

staging-next is what goes to Linus for the next kernel release after
this one.  It too is picked up in the linux-next daily releases.

ralink is an old branch of mine that I need to delete that has an
obsolete ralink driver in it that I was working on cleaning up.  Anyone
remember what the command to delete a remote branch is?  I always need
to look it up...

And master tracks Linus's branch.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h