How to test device driver?

jim.cromie at gmail.com jim.cromie at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:09:15 EDT 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 5:54 PM Hyeonggon Yoo <42.hyeyoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:48:38PM -0600, jim.cromie at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Hyeonggon Yoo <42.hyeyoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, there are lots of drivers in linux.
> > >
> > > My questions are:
> > >
> > >   - how can we test driver? is it just using that device for a long
> > >     time as a user?
> > >
> > testing is hard.  Having the device is highly recommended.
> > ISTM essential if adding a Tested-by: tag
> > Do you have a particular device in mind ?
>
> I recently was tracking syzbot report that is occured in
> sound driver. I don't have the device, but was curious about
> what the test method is.

well, it surely depends on the bug - and whether its reproducible.

if you could defend the patch as "obviously correct"
you could reasonably send it without extensive testing,
case by case Id guess.

> > You could reply to that report email, with your patch included.
> > 0day/lkp robot watches many email lists, and might test your patch
> > automatically, for you on different architectures
> >
> > at least Ive seen it happening on kbuild, kbuild-all lists
>
> well, build tests are useful but it is not enough, we should run the
> code on actual device. is it possible to make the bot test the device
> (which I don't have) even if there is no syzbot reproducer?

its possible / practical to disqualify patches robotically,
but to bless them takes a priest.
Robots win by prequalifying submissions.

> I think I need to learn about bots more..

Now think about how its a real-life turing test.

0-DAY CI Kernel Test Service, Intel Corporation
https://lists.01.org/hyperkitty/list/kbuild-all@lists.01.org
kbuild-all mailing list -- kbuild-all at lists.01.org
To unsubscribe send an email to kbuild-all-leave at lists.01.org

theres also a wiki, which helped me make sense of things
a bit better than the torrent of reports