How to test device driver?

Hyeonggon Yoo 42.hyeyoo at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:53:58 EDT 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:48:38PM -0600, jim.cromie at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:28 AM Hyeonggon Yoo <42.hyeyoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello, there are lots of drivers in linux.
> >
> > My questions are:
> >
> >   - how can we test driver? is it just using that device for a long
> >     time as a user?
> >
> testing is hard.  Having the device is highly recommended.
> ISTM essential if adding a Tested-by: tag
> Do you have a particular device in mind ?

I recently was tracking syzbot report that is occured in
sound driver. I don't have the device, but was curious about
what the test method is.

> You could reply to that report email, with your patch included.
> 0day/lkp robot watches many email lists, and might test your patch
> automatically, for you on different architectures
>
> at least Ive seen it happening on kbuild, kbuild-all lists

well, build tests are useful but it is not enough, we should run the
code on actual device. is it possible to make the bot test the device
(which I don't have) even if there is no syzbot reproducer?

I think I need to learn about bots more..

Thanks,
Hyeongogn Yoo