Wikibook Linux kernel

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab+huawei at kernel.org
Thu May 6 08:00:13 EDT 2021

Em Thu, 6 May 2021 13:28:50 +0200
Borislav Petkov <bp at alien8.de> escreveu:

> On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 01:58:35PM +0300, Constantine Shulyupin wrote:
> > Dear Linux kernel documentation writers and readers:
> >
> > Writing Linux documentation is a huge complex collaborative process.
> > To make it better I invite you to contribute to
> > https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Linux_Kernel .

And btw, the licenses there are not compatible:

	Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Pointing to:
	CC BY-SA 3.0

IANAL, but, AFAIKT, is not compatible with GPL version 2[1].

[1] at least, there's a comment here:
    https://github.com/todbot/SoftI2CMaster/issues/14
    I didn't read it in full, but it seems to be endorsed by CC
    people:
	https://creativecommons.org/2015/10/08/cc-by-sa-4-0-now-one-way-compatible-with-gplv3/
    Btw, even if this were using CC BY-SA 4.0, it would still be
    incompatible with GPL v2, as the one-way compatibility is just
    with v3.

So, porting texts/documents from/to wikibooks can be an issue from
legal standpoint.

If you want to contribute with Kernel docs, the best way would be
to send additions/improvements against the Kernel tree to the
linux-doc mailing list.

> You have seen this, right?
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/
>
> which is generated from the kernel repo.
>
> I'm sure Jon has even a grand idea about how to organize our
> documentation in an even better way.
>
> So it looks like we already have most of the topics and you could
> probably even generate the wikibook from the kernel documentation. :)
>
> Thx.

Thanks,
Mauro