Does FreeRTOS works on Linux?

Raul Piper raulpblooper at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:42:48 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 1:01 AM loïc tourlonias
<loic.tourlonias at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Raul Piper <raulpblooper at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> Hi
> > I am having an embedded linux system and wanted to use any  RTOS on
> > it. Can I use Free RTOS?
> > My project has 2 tasks , one is producer and another is consumer
> > working parallely.
> I'm afraid I don't understand what you are requesting and I hope that
> someone else understand more clearly. But I'll still explain my
> understanding.
> You want to run a RTOS upon Linux OS, doesn't make it too much OSes?
> Then I have several questions:
> Do you really need a Real Time Operating System, can't you run your
> project in Linux userspace?
I can do that but Linux is not an ROS afaik. Even though i dont have
strict timing requirements , its like a sensor on i2c(producer) and
then another consumer tasks which not
only feeds on this data but also tell the i2c sensor by sending some
commands to it.
> Have you tried Linux RTOS extension (again I'm no expert and haven't
> tried them but you can look at Xenomai)?
I will explore this.I was thinking if i can use Posix thread to have
two tasks one reading sensors and another sending commands to it.But
then again i am confused
if using a posix thread full fills the requirement of RTOS. The reason
I want to use RTOS is , I am porting a Microcontroller code using RTOS
(free RTOS) to Linux and
afaik FreeRTOS doesnt work on Linux.
> FreeRTOS is a standalone OS and depending on your system there may be
> an example running on your architecture in parallel of your embedded
> Linux. For example, on one of my project with have an ARM Cortex-A7
> with Linux running in Normal World and FreeRTOS running in Trusted
> world.
This is interesting , do you have something to share?