Does FreeRTOS works on Linux?

loïc tourlonias loic.tourlonias at gmail.com
Wed May 5 15:30:47 EDT 2021

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Raul Piper <raulpblooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi
> I am having an embedded linux system and wanted to use any  RTOS on
> it. Can I use Free RTOS?
> My project has 2 tasks , one is producer and another is consumer
> working parallely.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are requesting and I hope that
someone else understand more clearly. But I'll still explain my
understanding.
You want to run a RTOS upon Linux OS, doesn't make it too much OSes?
Then I have several questions:
Do you really need a Real Time Operating System, can't you run your
project in Linux userspace?
Have you tried Linux RTOS extension (again I'm no expert and haven't
tried them but you can look at Xenomai)?
FreeRTOS is a standalone OS and depending on your system there may be
an example running on your architecture in parallel of your embedded
Linux. For example, on one of my project with have an ARM Cortex-A7
with a Linux running in Normal World and FreeRTOS running in Trusted
world.

> I have seen Free RTOS used in microcontrollers handling this , how can
> this be done in Linux(which such APIs if not Free RTOS).

HTH