Remote I/O bus

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Oct 4 17:51:17 EDT 2019

On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 17:08:30 +0200, Luca Ceresoli said:
> Yes, the read/write helpers are nicely isolated. However this sits in a
> vendor kernel that tends to change a lot from one release to another, so

I admit having a hard time wrapping my head around "vendor kernel that
changes a lot from one release to another", unless you mean something like
the RedHat Enterprise releases that updates every 2 years, and at that point you get hit
with a jump of 8 or 10 kernel releases.

And of course, the right answer is to fix up the driver and upstream it, so that
in 2022 when your vendor does a new release, the updated driver will already be
there waiting for you.

And don't worry about having to do patches to update the driver to a new kernel
release because APIs change - that's only a problem for out-of-tree drivers.  If it's
in-tree, the person making the API change is supposed to fix your driver for you.