Remote I/O bus

Luca Ceresoli luca at lucaceresoli.net
Fri Oct 4 11:08:30 EDT 2019

Hi Greg,

On 04/10/19 16:54, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 04:08:06PM +0200, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>> Hi Greg,

>>> Yes, make your own "bus", and have the SPI device be your "host
>>> controller" in that it bridges the SPI bus to your "FPGA bus".
>>>
>>> The driver model is set up for this, it should be not that complex to do
>>> so.  If you have specific questions, just let me know.  "Clean" examples
>>> of what to do is the greybus code as that's probably one of the newest
>>> busses to be added to the kernel.

>>> I don't think you can map memory to be "on an SPI bus", unless you have
>>> support for that in your hardware controller itself.  Trying to map
>>> memory in this way is odd, just treat the devices out off the bus as
>>> "devices that need messages sent to them", and you should be fine.  It's
>>> not memory-mapped iomemory, so don't think of it that way.
>>
>> If I got you correctly, this means I cannot reuse the existing device
>> drivers unmodified as I was hoping to.
>
> You are switching from a "ioread/write" to "all data goes across an SPI
> link".  No, you can't reuse the existing drivers, but you can modify
> them to abstract out the "read/write data" functions to be transport
> agnositic.
>
>> They won't be 'struct platform_device' instances anymore, they will
>> become 'struct mybus_device' instances. And as such they won't be
>> allowed to call ioread32() / iowrite32(), but will have to call
>> mybus_ioread32() and mybus_iowrite32(). Correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> But, if you do it right, the majority of your driver is the logic to
> control the hardware, and interact with whatever other subsystem those
> devices talk to.  Read/Write data and the bus the device talks to should
> just be a tiny shim that you can split out into a separate module/file.

Sure, the driver logic wouldn't be touched. Only the read/write helpers
and the entry point (I think I'd need two different probe functions, but
again sharing most of their code).

> Do you have a pointer to your existing code anywhere?

One of the drivers I'm looking at is:

https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/xilinx-v2019.1/drivers/media/platform/xilinx/xilinx-csi2rxss.c

Yes, the read/write helpers are nicely isolated. However this sits in a
vendor kernel that tends to change a lot from one release to another, so
most changes on these drivers need to be re-done each time I upgrade the
kernel. That's one of the reasons I would have preferred to not touch
the driver at all.

Thanks a lot,
--
Luca