Regarding Audio Drivers

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat May 12 14:58:32 EDT 2018

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 11:14:50PM +0530, Divanshu Singh wrote:
> Respected Reader
>
> I am a long time Linux user. I am a full-time web developer but I have some
> knowledge of C, C++ and bit of x86 assembly.
>
> I have 4 Linux system at my home - a MacBook Air, 2 HP and 1 Dell and
> recently I found that none of them is able to detect or work with an
> external microphone. I have tried every possible configuration in ALSA that
> made sense but nothing worked. I also tried re-installing drivers for my
> sound cards. Searching the Internet, I realized that I am not alone there
> are thousands of Linux users who face the same problem. I found this long
> answer explaining why this problem exists with Linux system.
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/381071/headphones-with-combo-jack-force-internal-mic-for-input-and-headphones-for-outp

All this means is that for your specific laptop version, you need a
quirk to be able to properly control the microphone.  It's not a big
deal, just determining how to do that is a bit tricky.

I suggest emailing the Linux kernel sound developers at
alsa-dev at alsa-project.org and provide the exact kernel version you are
using (first try the latest release to be sure it's not already fixed),
and any hardware information you can provide as well.

The developers there will probably ask you for more specific things, and
you all can work from there.

Best of luck!

greg k-h