Regarding Audio Drivers

Divanshu Singh human.divanshu at gmail.com
Sat May 12 13:44:50 EDT 2018

Respected Reader

I am a long time Linux user. I am a full-time web developer but I have some
knowledge of C, C++ and bit of x86 assembly.

I have 4 Linux system at my home - a MacBook Air, 2 HP and 1 Dell and
recently I found that none of them is able to detect or work with an
external microphone. I have tried every possible configuration in ALSA that
made sense but nothing worked. I also tried re-installing drivers for my
sound cards. Searching the Internet, I realized that I am not alone there
are thousands of Linux users who face the same problem. I found this long
answer explaining why this problem exists with Linux system.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/381071/headphones-with-combo-jack-force-internal-mic-for-input-and-headphones-for-outp

Many Linux users switch to windows just because of a microphone issue. I am
frustrated and want to end this for once and all.

I have never written a driver but I am a quick learner and have lots of
patience. Please guide me with following:
- Getting started with drivers
- Learn about ALSA enough to make contributions to it

With regards
Divanshu