Year 2038 time set problem

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Mar 5 01:26:23 EST 2018

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 01:15:03AM -0500, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 03/05/2018 01:00 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> > "How many security issues were those systems
> > vulnerable to over that period of time?  All of them."
>

> So I'm understanding.  And yet, the kernel is getting harder and harder
> to manage.  It takes hours to just walk through all the choices.

You're doing it wrong.  Don't ever walk through "all the choices".

Take a distro kernel, boot your box, plug in all of the devices you want
to support, then do:
	'make localmodconfig'
in your own kernel drectory and spend 5 minutes building your new
kernel and then booting into it.

> I went from using opensuse to using a rolling release of Artix, which is
> arch based.  One of the things I've noticed is that the number of kernel
> upgrades are brisk, which with opensuse, it was rare for a kernel
> upgrade.  I thought most of these upgrades was updated hardware options
> and features, and not security.  Opensuse would get upset if you didn't
> use their derivative of the kernel.

Then use your distros version of a kernel.  opensuse is great, as is
arch, and a few other community-based distros, like Fedora.  I trust
them to get it right with kernel updates.  If you don't want to do it
yourself, use one of those "big 3" and feel quite comfortable with
rebooting every few weeks and all will be fine.

thanks,

greg k-h