Year 2038 time set problem

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Mar 4 23:57:29 EST 2018

On 03/04/2018 11:15 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> I only had a system fry once
>> while it was up an running since the late 1990's until today, and in
>> that case it was wild power surge and the hardware was up and running in
>> 20 minutes with a swap out of the hard drive.
> The fact that you've kept a system going for 8 years without a reboot
> isn't proof that actually doing so is a good idea security wise.

I made that point  with regard to the silly notion that somehow the
hardware would just magically fry periodically.  On the scale I'm
working at, hardware failure over decades is rare.

Whether it is reasonable to expect to be able to use a kernel securely
for 8 years is a problem I leave for the experts.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com