Updating LDD3

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Wed Oct 25 00:08:26 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 02:03:59PM +0100, Liam Ryan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:49:34AM -0200, Daniel. wrote:
> > You're welcome!
> >
> > On Oct 24, 2017 10:38 AM, "Ozgur" <okaratas at yandex.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > 24.10.2017, 15:31, "Daniel." <danielhilst at gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Here it is https://github.com/martinezjavier/ldd3
>
> Thanks I had found this repo which is a great reference for when I get
> stuck in my own attempt to update the old code, however I believe this repo is also outdated. For instance it calls aio_complete on line 405 of main.c of scullc which I found has since been removed ( or I made a huge error :) ).

This is the repo I worked off of

https://github.com/duxing2007/ldd3-examples-3.x

> Leaving that aside I'm referring to updating the book itself rather than the code as the text makes reference to the code as written in 2005.

Isn't that the same thing? You need updated code to update the
book. Not to throw water on your enthusiasm but that book is amazingly
well written, there are [throw away] comments in that book that have
taught me loads about subtle concepts of kernel development.

I would be very hesitant removing any text from that book if one is not
_very_ experienced. There is a wealth of knowledge in it and the few
functions that are out of date do little to reduce it's educational
value IMO.

Sure, it would be nice to have a few of the newer kernel features
included but again this is not a job for just anyone. Those guys that
wrote that book are seriously experienced.

Hope this helps,
Tobin.