VFS: mount_bdev and fill_super

Shrikant Giridhar shrikantgiridhar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 01:08:13 EDT 2017

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017, Rohan Puri wrote:

> If s_root is set it means the superblock is already filled up so call
> fill_super() only if s_root is NULL meaning superblock is not filled yet.

I tried looking at the d_name of the s_root dentry when mounting a device and
its always '/'. I presume this is due to it being the root dentry of the
subtree we're attaching to the main file hierarchy.

Can the dentry of a superblock be something other than '/' on mounting it?

Apologies if my question is a little vague. Any documentation about this would
help too.

---
Shrikant