VFS: mount_bdev and fill_super

Rohan Puri rohan.puri15 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 02:31:09 EDT 2017

On 16-Jun-2017 11:44 AM, "Shrikant Giridhar" <shrikantgiridhar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just had a quick look at mount_bdev() code for Linux v3.15, mount_bdev()
> can return only root dentry or error.

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I was referring to the documentation
mount() where it says that the call can return something other than the root
dentry.

I have not looked at the doc.

More specifically, I don't understand how the what's the purpose of the if
condition checking for s_root in mount_bdev(). Apologies if this is a
trivial
question.

If s_root is set it means the superblock is already filled up so call
fill_super() only if s_root is NULL meaning superblock is not filled yet.

Tracking the calls all the way down didn't seem to make it clearer
and I couldn't find specific documentation about the interface.

> Also please include the kernel version to which you are referring.

I have the 4.12-rc5 kernel.

---
Shrikant

- Rohan