english grammar and patches

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Tue Apr 25 20:27:00 EDT 2017

This question relates to English grammar and correct usage when
writing gitlog messages and patch series cover letters.

The writing of gitlog messages is covered in submitting-patches.rst,
of note is the mood to use. It is not stated but I think it is
a subjunctive description of the problem being addressed followed by
an imperative description of what is being done in the patch. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

The question is: what mood to use in the cover letter. Also, is the
subject of the cover letter explicit or implicit? Said another way is
it acceptable to say 'this series' within the cover letter? It is
specifically stated not to use the subject within the patch itself,
however, many patch sets on LKML use the subject in the cover letter.

Finally, has anyone, within easy reach, a link to a canonical patch
set cover letter. I have searched LKML but am unable to judge for
myself. I would like to add a link to the kernel newbies wiki also if
one is available.

thanks,
Tobin.