Patch Question

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Mon Apr 17 19:58:44 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 05:28:46PM -0600, Perry Hooker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently submitted a patch to the kernel mailing list:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/21/712

Link is broken.

> I received some feedback on the patch. After a bit of polite
> back-and-forth, the respondent stopped replying when I asked for more
> information, and I haven't heard anything from the maintainers.

No one *has* to respond to your email.

> Based on my analysis (contained in the thread), I still think the
> patch is correct & appropriate.

Perhaps you just need to rework it a bit as the reviewer suggested?

> What's the best way to determine if this is a good fix or not?
> How should I proceed if the patch is, in fact, a good fix?

If the patch was good it would have probably been picked up.

I have found myself in similar positions. Often, since we are just
beginners, there is some thing about the situation that we do not
fully understand. This lack of understanding leads us to think we are
correct when in fact we are not. Perhaps you could go back over the
reviewers emails and think all around the code being discussed, make
sure you understand every minute detail of what is being done.

I have found reviewers to be unusually patient with us newbies, if you
display that you have put in effort to try and understand their
position most times you will get a response. If you don't perhaps the
fix is not worth bothering with, the kernel is large there are always
more things to work on.

Hope this helps,
Tobin.