insmod failing to insert a simple module

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Sep 29 08:14:38 EDT 2016

A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 05:31:52PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> No it is not the requirement, when I downloaded the source "4.0.5-rc7+" was
> latest. Is there any problem with 4.0.5-rc7+?

I do not understand these two sentences.

You said you tried to load a module built for the 4.0.5-rc7 kernel tree
(which is a very odd kernel version number, as I don't recall ever
making a -rc7 for 4.0.5, which was released way back in June of 2015,
but that's another issue...) In order to do that properly, you have to
be running that specific kernel version at the same time so this will
work properly.

So, what specific kernel version are you currently running?  Does it
match up with the kernel version of the module you are wanting to load?
(exercise for exactly how to determine both of these is left for the
reader...)

thanks,

greg k-h