no device creation by udev

anno79 at mailbox.org anno79 at mailbox.org
Fri Jun 24 12:44:16 EDT 2016

I have written the following lines of code

to get a char device working.

( lines with # indicate that I have tried versions of this code snippet without them)

  class_hello = class_create(THIS_MODULE, device_name);
# class_hello->devnode = &hello_devnode;
  retval = alloc_chrdev_region( &dev_file, 0, 1, device_name );
  cdev_init( &device, &file_ops );
# device.owner = THIS_MODULE;

# kobject_set_name(&device.kobj, device_name);
  cdev_add( &device, MKDEV(dev_file, 0), 1 )
  device = device_create( class_hello, NULL, MKDEV(dev_file, 0), NULL, device_name );
# kobj_device->devt = MKDEV(dev_file, 0);

Make it open / close / read / write works fine  - but look at that

$ ls /sys/class/hello/hello
power subsystem uevent

The "dev" entry is missing - and udev does not react.

Anybody knows what is else needed to make udev react?