Porting to an S3C2416 failed with no console message

Woody Wu narkewoody at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:35:55 EST 2016

Hi,

I am trying to port 3.18 kernel to a S3C2416.  Years ago, a guy helped me
ported a 3.1.0 kernel to the same board, and the guy left and the kernel
got too old. The guy also ported an u-boot as boot loader to load the 3.1.0
kernel.  I had the source code of the ported u-boot and the 3.1.0 linux.

Now, my problem is that my porting of 3.18 seems not working, I did not see
any kernel message printed to the first SoC serial port as I expected. As
long as I can get kernel message printed to the serial, I think I can step
by step finish the whole porting work eventually. But now, there is no
message and I have no other hardware debugging tools and knowledges, I felt
I lost my way totally.

I hope someone can give me some suggestions, clues to help me
understand where to check and what's the possible causes.

Since I found the old porting of the 3.1.0 is quit similar to SMDK2416,
then I started my work from also the SMDK2416 board code in 3.18.
Basically, I defined the machine-code to match that passed from u-boot, and
copied the MACHINE-START definition section with removing of some
not-immediately-needed stuff such as USB, NAND and HMSUI etc. I also
enabled the S3C2410 serial driver and enabled the serial console supporting
for the Samsung SoC. Of course, I had the kernel parameter of
"console=ttySAC0", ttySAC0 is the Linux device name of the first UART port
in the SoC. These are basically what I had done and I guess the SoC serial
part between my board and SMDK2416 should be very similar and the kernel
should at least be able to print it's first message then I should have
chance to fix other differences. But there is no kernel message at all as I
mentioned above.

What should I check for the problem usually? Is there a checking list to go
through? I hope you experts can give me some clues.  Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
woody

    -- Schopenhauer

woody