Fwd: Need some help regarding write_begin, write_end and writepage(s).

Pranay Srivastava kumar.srivastava.pranay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 02:05:52 EST 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the write_begin, write_end and writepages /
writepage call
sequence by having a small file system coded myself.

I'm not using block_write_begin / block_write_end also not using
mpage_writepages
as well.

The issue however is that apart from write_begin and write_end, writepages never
gets called. However if I do write_inode_now ( in write_end) then writepage do
get called, but that's not how it's supposed to be.

1. in write_begin : I'm able to grab_cache_page_begin and returned it locked.

2. in write_end: I'm able to allocate disk space and do SetPageDirty
and SetPageUptodate
    unlock_page and page_cache_release.

3. I also tried __mark_inode_dirty(inode, I_DIRTY_PAGES)

4. I also tried to set_page_writeback, but apparently that then makes
the iput_final stuck since
   it waits for PG_Writeback to be cleared and that I've coded in
writepage which never
   gets called.

but writepages never gets called.

Even iput_final doesn't make the write_inode_now call.

 Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,