working with linux-next ... must tags be fetched separately?

Jerry Snitselaar dev at snitselaar.org
Wed Jul 1 19:09:07 EDT 2015

On Sun Jun 28 15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, Harsh Jain wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > git fetch --tags linux-next
> >
> > Will only fetch the tags not changed files content/data.
> >
> > To fetch file changes
> > git fetch linux-next
> >
> > Is required.
> >

> > On 28 June 2015 14:59:15 GMT+05:30, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   perusing the current instructions on how to work with linux-next
> > here:
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
> > and i'm puzzled by this part of the instructions:
> >  Fetch linux-next plus tags
> >     $ git fetch linux-next
> >     $ git fetch --tags linux-next
> > is it really necessary to run two separate fetch commands? from the
> > man page for git-fetch, one reads:
> >        -t, --tags
> >            Fetch all tags from the remote (i.e., fetch remote tags refs/tags/* into local tags with
> >            the same name), in addition to whatever else would otherwise be fetched.
> > so would it not be sufficient to run simply:
> >     $ git fetch --tags linux-next
> > or am i misreading something?
> > rday
>
>   that suggests that the man page is slightly misleading, given that
> it clearly states that "--tags" will fetch tags, "in addition to
> whatever else would otherwise be fetched." or is there a different way
> to read that phrase?
>
> rday

It seems to work as described in the manpage for me:

snits at cantor:~/dev/linux=>git fetch -t linus
remote: Counting objects: 888, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (888/888), 137.18 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (798/798), completed with 368 local objects.
>From git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux
   0890a26..6ac15ba  master     -> linus/master
snits at cantor:~/dev/linux=>git --version
git version 2.4.3.368.g7974889