Replacing "-custom" in my New Kernel development configuration

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Thu Feb 12 03:30:01 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 12:07 +0530, s.rawat wrote:
> Yes the headers are there in the sources of 3.18.5 kernel.But then I
> have to change all the references to linux/<header_files.h> in my
> modules to the path of
> <kernel_source>/include/linux/<header_files.h>.This could be
> corrective action.I am looking for preventive action .

Changing those preprocessor include lines is certainly the wrong thing
to do.

> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION appends whatever name we want to append after the
> kernel version.
> I was looking for downloading the kernel headers for the custom kernel
> I built whose name has been changed to 3.18.5-custom.
> uname -r give => 3.18.5-custom. :( (cant use it sudo apt-get install
> linux-header-$(uname-r) :(

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Looking at your original
question it seems this is about the headers in /usr/src/kernels/$(uname
-r). (That is the location used in Fedora.)

But why do you need those headers? See, these headers in that directory
are for building external modules. Ie, modules not already installed
in /lib/modules/$(uname -r). But that would be easier to do from within
the directory in your home directory where you downloaded the kernel's
source code.

And _please_ don't top post in your answer. That makes it even harder to
determine what it is you actually want to do.

Paul Bolle